Saturday, October 10, 2015

Man from Seat 28F

Dear man from seat 28F,

Well done sir. I see your perfectly put together travel outfit. Your sensible shoes, your impressively compact carry on bag with room to spare, your  ability to fall asleep near immediately once you've blown up your comfortable-appearing travel pillow. Obviously, you've honed your travel skills.

I sit self-consciously two seats down wondering why I chose tennis shoes with shoelaces (I've already had to retie them four times).  My travel pillow seems so bulky in comparison to yours.  I guiltily place my shoulder bag carry on in the overhead compartment - it won't quite fit under my seat.

I consider asking you about your technique - the seemingly effortless simplicity of it all - but I stop myself 1) so I'm not "that" person on the plane 2) your baseball cap covering your face signals your singular desire to nap on this flight. I can respect that.

I,too, fall asleep while considering visiting the local REI and checking out the NorthFace website when I get home.

Minutes before we land you tap me on the shoulder and ask for a pen to fill out the custom forms. I rush to locate one of the three pens in my purse (yes, I have three; Ink can be temperamental). As I hand you the pen, with nonchalant magnanimity, I allow myself a private self-satisfied grin. So, while you might have weather-proof pants, no-lace, hiking-capable shoes, an appropriately sized, practical travel satchel with an attached collapsible water-bottle, I sir, have pens. It seems that you are not,in fact, infallible and I am somewhat prepared after all.

Thank you man from seat 28F.  I'm not so stressed out anymore.

2 comments: