Saturday, October 10, 2015

A Brit, an Ecuadorian, and an American

A Brit, an Ecuadorian, and an American

When I arrive at the airport I am greeted by a warm and sweet woman by the name of Gabriela. Gabriela and her family own the bed and breakfast I have the fortune of calling my temporary home until I'm transported to the clinical site tomorrow morning. The short ride from the airport to the B&B, Gabriela and I chat about Ecuador - the most pressing matter concerns an advertisement I saw in the airport for a sunberry - I was unaware that this particular berry existed but I'm excited to try it!  As we drive I note the lush landscape - although Gabriela insists this year has been drier than normal to which I respond, Gabriela, I'll send you a photo of dry landscape when I get home :/. Everywhere you turn there are mountains - dotted with fields and farms which gives them the quality of a beautiful patchwork quilt. As we drive up a narrow road we turn into a driveway and a well-crafted wooden gate slides open and a little oasis emerges. Cute bungalows, gardens, a stable with a donkey who sounds like he's in heat - seriously, I don't know how else to describe his frantic sounds.

After I check into my room, Gabriela informs me that's she meeting some of her family for lunch and invites me and another woman staying to join them. We graciously accept the invitation.

The other woman happens to be a physician from the UK who has finished the equivalent of medical school and is doing locums work and traveling. Emily lets me know that in the UK, physicians are able to fully practice before going to residency and often locum work pays up to 3 times as much as being in practice once you've completed residency.  Good gig.

Emily, Gabriela, and I trade stories of different healthcare systems on the way to the restaurant. Gabriela brings us up to speed on the improvements in the educational and healthcare system in Ecuador over the last 15 years- it's pretty impressive.

Gabriela's family is warm and welcoming. They're patient with us as Emily and I attempt social Spanish conversation.  We enjoy a traditional Ecuadorean lunch at a local restaurant - lentil and potato soup followed by chicken, rice, plantains, and cabbage salad. Delicious.

I spend the rest of the afternoon exploring Old Town Quito (see pics - if I can figure out that feature).

Highlights:

1. Some of the most ornate and beautiful churches and cathedrals I've ever seen. Literally jaw-dropping
2. Getting a glimpse of a wedding in one of these churches
3. Seeing a converted trailer party bus with music blasting through the old windy roads of Old Town. Yes, I considered joining them. No, I didn't. Yes, I'll forever regret that choice.
4. Dinner overlooking an indoor courtyard

Tomorrow, I'm off to Riobamba!  More tales to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment